Areas of Practice
Kalamazoo Estate Planning - Conservatorship Law




Contact our Estate Planning Attorney:

Michael A. Hettinger


Kalamazoo: 324-2000  Battle Creek: 968-5000
Three Rivers: 273-7800  Sturgis: 659-6161
Coldwater: (517)278-6800  Dowagiac: 782-2500
Fax: (269) 585-5926  Statewide: 800-294-5055


In a conservatorship, the probate court appoints a person to receive, invest, and disburse a minor's assets. The probate judge determines how the money is to be invested. The money can only be spent for the minor if the probate judge consents. On the minor's eighteenth birthday, the conservatorship terminates and, if mentally competent, the assets are given directly to the minor. This occurs irrespective of the minor's ability to manage his or her own finances.